Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Concerts concerts.

Last night I went to a Tape N Tapes concert at The Opera House, in the east end of the city.

The night was filled with mixed emotions as the sound quality mixed with the lackluster enthusiasm of the crowd lead to a less than stellar performance of the guys. A spark for the White Denim, a band from the meanest place in the south. White Denim; from Austin, Texas, performed an amazing set for the few that dared to show up early.

White Denim, played a continuous stream of music that got the crowd slightly riled and excited for the main act Tapes n Tapes. Playing many songs from their latest material, the drum heavy bass-sounding act was a treat for the night.

The indie rock classicist known as Tapes N tapes from Minneapolis, MN, played a mediocre set. The beginning played the lucks of their new album, with mixes and new compliations of the hits from the loon (2006). Yet even with the mishaps of the sound levels, the guys ended with demon apples. At times the crowd was dancing along, while other times the crowd was less than receptive of their new material. Given the fact that they released the latest album less than a week prior to the performance, only loyal fans had gotten the new album. There was some momentary bright moments, when Guitarist and lead - Josh and Bassist Matt did a little dance number and created a melodic twists of chords that entangled the crowd and transformed them into a wave of dance. Yet, the night was certainly only soured by a group of hipsters unfamiliar with Monday night concerts.

The normal concert going experience is usually tainted with a few overly drunk, obnxious people in your surrounding area. Recently, it has come to my conclusion that I've become a douche-bad magnet. The following is a rant, and a play-by-play of the situation that went down.

I'm at my usual spot. DEAD CENTRE 3 rows from the stage enjoying my spot, since there aren't any super TALL people in front of me, still allowing some space for people to move around, dance their heart out.. you name it.

A couple of songs into the show, 4 very drunk 20somethings decide that they want to be in row 1.5 and 2 in front of the stage. Except their more along the lines of row 2.5 and 3 and clearly in my personal space. As a stubborn person that I'm not but wanting to enjoy the concerts sans douches around I found myself not budging at all and standing my ground firmly, hoping that they would move. These 4 drunks youngin's consisted of 2 5' stuck up blonde and brunette girls. the Other 2 were their male counterparts or annoying friends, both wearing ballcaps. Now I'm not against ballcaps, I'm just against those that are clearly in my personal space blocking my view of Josh the Lead vocals....

How annoying was it when not only did they proceeded to dance obxinously but doing gangstar hipster moves into my line of sight. ANNOYING! To cap it off, they started to CHAT and yell quite loudly and discuss non-Tapes n tapes related topics. WOW, did this piss me off. This continued for 2 songs before I got really really upset. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'd be respectful and quit the chatter as I opted to do dirty looks at them and thought the dirty looks were enough to keep them from starting up their chatter.
Clearly, it wasn't the case, as the 4 ineberated folks decided that they would try and push me aside and kick me out of my spot that my friend and I had for the entire Concert. PEEVED was I?
So I tried to tap on one of the guys shoulders and proceed to ask them to stop talking.
"can you guys stop talking, please. I'm trying to listen to the music over your chatter"
" Seriously can you guys stop, I'm trying appreciate the music."

Something along those lines... it got them to mock my asking them to stop talking..they proceed to momentarily say lines "shhhh, you're tooo loud." "keep your level down"

2 songs later those drunks decided they needed more booze in their system on a monday night, so they left but gave me cut eye, and were mimicking the "shhh" sign...
In petty retaliation, I decided to clap loudly, and shouted cheers of screams into their ears. TAKE THAT BIOTCHES.

I was able to block up the area and proceed to enjoy the rest of the show.

BOY was I wrong. they decided to hang out 10m to the RIGht back of me.... and continued to make fools of themselves and talk loudly. THEN to top it off, they try to dance their way in... oooo did they mess with the wrong person. I quickly danced the blonde one out.
They continued to be overly drunk and annoying.

At the end of the show as the crowd was unreceptive of their performance, we knew they weren't going to play an encore for a lackluster, uninterested crowd... So we were about to head out on our merry way, well those 4 A-Holes came into our spot. As we were leaving, I heard whispers of ooo let's not be too loud, and she's so rude.

wtf! talking behind my back?! This might have been very immature and confrontational, BUT
I stared back at them and asked them, what their problem was and whether they'd like to say anything to me.... then they gave me 4 shocked looks.... puullleeze! (insert eye rollings).

Can't beleive they were even that low too give me dirty looks for asking them to shut UP during a concert.

ANNOYING, DOUCHE bags are attracted to me. HELP. I need a repellent.

No comments: